Monday, November 14, 2011

Embracing your Natural Curly Hair: How to make it look lively

My grandma, my mom, my dad, my aunts, my uncles, my brother, my sister, my cousin, and my other relatives have curly hair. Who made me think that I can escape from having curly hair? I even passed the curls to my daughter; she also have curly hair. Yes, we are a family with natural curls!  How about that?

Over the years, I did a lot of things to my curly hair. I used to hide my curls with a pony tail. I tried to cut it short then grew it long. I went to hair salons to have my hair straightened. It’s called “Hair rebonding”. They used a lot of chemicals and ironed it to make it flat and straight. Well, my hair looked good for a couple of months but after 4 or 5 months, the curly hair started to grow again. It looked funny because the roots are curly but the ends are straight. So, you’ll know that my original hair was curly. That was very upsetting because that hair treatment was very expensive but it only lasted for a short period of time. I got tired going to parlors to have my hair straightened. So, I let my natural curly hair to grow as is.



I experimented on a lot of things on my hair until I finally found how to take care of it. I just have to embrace these curls that I have. Saving money, time, and showing the real beauty of my curls can be one of my best careers in life especially now that I’m a mom. Being beautiful while saving doesn’t go together most of the time. But, I think I’m good with that.

Here are Some Tips for you to follow if you have a Curly Hair like me:



1.  Try to look for a shampoo that is sulfate free. Sodium Luareth Sulfate is compared to the dish washing detergent that you use for your plates to remove grease with a foaming effect. So if you shampoo your hair with sulfate, you are removing the natural oil of your scalp which makes your hair dry and frizzy. There are some organic shampoos to choose from, just check the ingredients. I use the Organix.

2.    Do not shampoo everyday but wash your hair with conditioner everyday to put moisture on it. Apply conditioner mostly on the hair ends. These are the parts where it gets dry and frizzy the most. Try to Shampoo every after 2 days.

3.    After you shower, do not rub your hair with a towel. This will give you split ends. Just squeeze the excess water, shake it, and pat it dry.

4.    Do not twist your hair with a towel like a turban, this will create friction and it will make your hair dry and frizzy.

5.    Do not blow dry your hair. Your hair will be dehydrated.

6.    In combing your hair, look for a comb with big teeth. It’s called a detangler comb. This is to avoid breaking the hair strands. Do not use a hair brush.


7.    After combing your hair, look for a leave in conditioning cream or an anti-frizz serum and put it on your hair while it’s still wet. Put more at the ends because it frizzes more on those part. Put a good amount on your entire hair and crunch the ends after wards to make big curls. Let it dry that way and you’re ready to go. I use the Garnier Fructis sleek and shine anti-frizz serum.


8.    Once a week, massage virgin coconut oil on your scalp, cover it with a shower cap, and leave it for at least 30 minutes. You should do this before you take a shower. This will help you bring back the natural oil of your scalp and will make your hair softer.

It will take you awhile to practice this before you’ll experience a great effect and bring back the natural oil of your hair. But once the natural curl gets enough moisture, you will see your curls will be more defined, bigger, healthier, and livelier. Love your hair and you’ll look more beautiful and fantastic. Let me know the effect after following my tips. Enjoy your curls!





No comments:

Post a Comment